Es Us
RESERVÁ YA

LOKI CUSCO - HOUSE HISTORY

Old_painting

The area of the house was always very important due to its strategic location above the city of Cusco and the main road to Lima in Inca times and till the beginning of the 20th century passed beside the house.

In Inca times the area of the house was called Carmenga and stone towers were built along the slopes of the hill that were used to track the sun, indicating the times for harvest and house parties!

On the 15/3/1533 Francisco Pizarro entered the region of Cusco from Carmenga and it was the Spanish who gave the area the name of Santa Ana and who constructed the Church of Santa Ana and The Archway. The house itself was built around the years 1559-1560 of which during the years the house had many owners and was put to many different uses (some of them a mixture of truth and legend) among them:

  • House to some of the mayors of Cusco, both in the 18th and 20th centuries.
  • A road inn for travelers coming and going to Lima, the inn common room is now one of the hostel dormitories.
  • After the Spanish occupation of Cusco Inca princesses were hanged outside the front door of the house so no Spanish would be able to marry them.
  • Home to a chapel that was dedicated to Santa Rosa de Lima that was canonized in 1671 by Papa Clemente X and still can be visited in the house second courtyard.
  • At the end of the 18th century the house was home to Inca decedents.
  • A rebellion led by Pumacahua, Tupac Amaru the 2nd, and the brothers Ladron de Guevarra was planned and executed from the house (1780). When the spanish cought Tupac Amaru the y ordered his execution in Cusco's Plaza de Armas and forced his complices to watch the execution from the room that now serves as the hostel common area. The brothers Ladron de Guevarra lived in the house at that time, and this is how the house received its name "Casa de Ladron de Guevarra". The room that is believed to house the conspirators is now the hostel TV room.
  • In 1932 the house was officially declared a National Monument.
  • At the end of 2004 we, 4 backpackers, decided on restoring the house and turn it into LOKI Hostel Cusco.

MORE INFORMATION

PHOTOS

The Very Beginning

THE VERY BEGINNING

These are photos of the way the house was when we bought it
Construction

CONSTRUCTION

These are photos of the construction process
Mural

300 YEAR OLD MURAL

While doing construction we were surprised to find traces of paint in one of the rooms
Before & Afters

BEFORE & AFTERS

Here are photos of different parts of the hostel before and after the work
Cusco Now

LOKI CUSCO NOW

What Loki Cusco looks like now